Sigma Kappa understands everyone needs someone to talk to at times, but for on-the-go college students with various academic and extracurricular responsibilities, it can sometimes be hard to find time to get help. Because we are dedicated to the wellness of our members, Sigma Kappa has partnered with Talkspace to provide personal, convenient and confidential online counseling to our collegiate members.
Talkspace is perfect for the college lifestyle because it is counseling for how students live today. According to the NAMI, 1 in 5 college students cope with a mental health issue at a given time. Because the average mental health counselor to student ratio on college campuses is 1 counselor to every 1,737 students, access to Talkspace will provide Sigma Kappa’s undergraduate members counseling whenever they need without having to make an appointment or tell anyone. The platform is designed to allow someone to text, audio or video message a counselor when it is convenient for them. For more information about Talkspace, visit www.talkspace.com.
RESULTS FROM OUR FIRST YEAR:
- 91% of our collegiate chapters have at least one member who has used Talkspace.
- Over 700 collegiate members have signed up for this service, and over 300 of those collegiate members signed up during the first few weeks Talkspace was available to them.
- In December, we launched a code for alumnae members providing them access to Talkspace services at a discounted rate. This code is also available to collegiate members who want to continue their use of Talkspace after their two free months have been used.
- Our members who have used Talkspace have reported feeling more comfortable dealing with anxiety and depression, roommate issues and balancing commitments and responsibilities.
- Eight out of ten members would recommend using Talkspace to their friends.
- The NHC has allocated funds for member corporations to install private spaces in chapter houses so that members feel safe and secure when conducting Talkspace sessions. Check with your local corporation board president for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up to use Talkspace?
New undergraduate users of Talkspace can visit our partnership website at talkspace.com/sigmakappa and sign up with their email address. Once you have signed up, follow the prompts to finish creating your account and begin using the service.
Returning undergraduate users should contact Talkspace customer service to reopen their account and begin using the service again. You can contact Talkspace customer service at email@example.com.
How does Talkspace work?
Talkspace is designed to be easy to use no matter where you are. Once you have set up your account you’ll be asked to complete a brief assessment. This assessment will take you less than two minutes to complete. Based on the answers to the assessment questions, you’ll be matched with three counselors. Once you have read their profiles and selected the one that is best for you, you can begin messaging the same day. Talkspace counselors are available five days a week and you have unlimited text, audio or video messaging with them once you begin!
Is Talkspace meant for emergency situations?
No. If you or anyone you know are in a crisis situation or may be in danger, call +1 (800) 273-8255 or use these resources to get immediate help.
Who is covered by this partnership?
Currently, Sigma Kappa is offering unlimited Talkspace messaging to all undergraduate members for up to two months during the academic year, completely free of charge as funds allow.
What can I talk to a Talkspace counselor about?
You can talk to your Talkspace counselor about anything. We know that college life is busy and there are lots of factors that contribute to a member's individual health and wellness. Talkspace counselors are there to listen and offer you help with whatever you’re facing.
Do I have to use my two months consecutively, or can I split them up?
Your two months need to be used consecutively. All undergraduate members will receive access to two free months of counseling from Talkspace each academic year as funds allow.
What happens when I’ve used my two months of Talkspace?
If you have used your two free months of unlimited Talkspace messaging, you can use a code to receive a discounted rate on additional 1 or 3-month plans. Complete the form in the Talkspace for Alumnae accordion above to receive this new code.
How can I share this with my chapter members?
There are a number of informational flyers and posters that we have available for you to share! Click here to access those. If there is a resource that you’d like to see, you can contact Mary Phillips Carlson, director of educational programs, and share your ideas with her.